Democratic leaders are now backtracking on plans to reconvene the House next week after rank-and-file lawmakers called the move too “dangerous.”
Majority Leader Steny Hoyer told reporters Tuesday the decision was based on several factors, including a recommendation from healthcare officials.
“The House physician’s view is that there is a risk to members that is one he would not recommend taking,” the Maryland Democrat said.
Hoyer told reporters leaders will wait until a second economic aid package is ready for a vote.
“We will be back very soon to pass the legislation,” Hoyer said.
The Republican-controlled Senate, however, will reconvene on Monday.
The House has been in recess since mid-March due to the coronavirus.
“Democratic leaders faced a significant backlash from members during an afternoon conference call on Monday. Hoyer announced on the call that the House would return on Monday, but lawmakers complained it would be difficult for members to travel to Washington and remain for long periods of time in order to avoid frequent travel, which is considered risky because of the coronavirus,” the Washington Examiner reports.
While House Democrats refusing to come back to work, many liberal lawmakers are still finding time to go after the president.
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and his allies are planning to propose a resolution called “The No PR Act,” which would remove Trump’s signature from all future relief checks from the COVID-19 response.
“President Trump, unfortunately, appears to see the pandemic as just another opportunity to promote his own political interests,” Schumer said.
He added: “Delaying the release of stimulus checks so his signature could be added is a waste of time and money.”
Schumer and his anti-Trump colleagues are desperate to humiliate the president however they can.
Schumer claims that the measure is to stop Trump from promoting “his own political interests,” but he should look in the mirror.
This isn’t a controversy, but rather another attempt for Democrats to grandstand and exploit a crisis to go after Trump.
Last week, Democrats on the House Foreign Affairs Committee have launched an investigation into Trump’s decision to halt funding to the World Health Organization in response to the group’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic.
Engel demanded that the State Department provide documents proving the justification for Trump’s decision to pull funding from the WHO.
Trump announced the halt in funding earlier this month, arguing he did not want to send taxpayer money to WHO after their “botched effort” in handling the pandemic and cozy relationship with China, where the coronavirus originated.
“Had the WHO done its job to get medical experts into China to objectively assess the situation on the ground and to call out China’s lack of transparency, the outbreak could have been contained at its source with very little death,” Trump said on April 15.
Leading U.S. health officials have echoed Trump’s claim, saying foreign nations would have been better prepared to deal with the pandemic had China and world health leaders been more transparent during the early days of the outbreak.
“You have to increase your level of reporting and transparency,” Dr. Deborah Birx said in April. “Because it’s a new disease, every word and every experience that you have becomes very critical.”
Consider this: Democrats launched two “get Trump” plots in less than a week.